Saturday, August 24, 2013

SOPA: Back and worse than ever!

Aha, yes, you did in fact read the rather menacing Title correctly: The infamous "Stop Online Piracy Act" or better and more popularly known as "SOPA," has chosen that it is time to make a bit of a comeback, and this time it appears stronger and possesses a greater punishment than the first  and original version of the Bill. How, you ask? Here, let's review the facts:

- Let's take a common scenario in which I have a sudden burst of inspiration, in creating a piece of Artwork which features a song which I especially admire. I complete piece and choose that it is logical to Submit my diligent work to DeviantART. With the SOPA Bill in action, I could not only end up charged with Copyright-Infringement, but arrested and thrown into Jail- Merely for doing just what I love: Art.
- Pretending that the previous situation did not just happen, I figure that with my abrupt lack of motivation, I would take pleasure in drawing a few select Characters from my favorite Books and Television Shows.  In doing this, I draw Firestar from Warriors, Max from Maximum Ride, and Leroy Jethro Gibbs from the hit-T.V Show, NCIS. I once again find it to be rational to Submit my careful work for the eyes of DeviantART to pleasantly witness. Of course, SOPA is once again in action within the scenario, and I once again may be charged for Copyright-Infringement when in reality, my Fan-Artwork did nothing more than to promote the Series.
-We could not forget the previous threats SOPA had in store for us, such as shutting-down Websites such as Google and Bing for dropping Links that may feature Copyrighted Material, or Wikipedia for simply speaking of these "forbidden" words. Many Sites are in danger of this grimy Bill, for example: Bing Services, Google Services, DeviantART, Tumblr, and just about any other Site which allows viewers to have a voice. Rather ridiculous, don't you agree?

Educate yourself on the "original" SOPA:

 
 
Sign a Petition to stop the wretched Bill in its tracks "Here!"
 
C'mon guys, we've stopped this Act multiple times beforehand! Lets do it once more! D: